The Bedford RLHZ Self Propelled Pump, but known to us all as the Green Goddess. The fire engine was used originally by the AFS and latterly by the British Armed Forces. These green-painted vehicles were built between 1953 and 1956 and the design was based on a Bedford RL series army truck.
Prior to disbandment, the AFS used the 'Green Goddess' extensively in support of the local Fire Services throughout the UK. They provided additional water delivery and fire fighting capability at times when the regular Fire Brigades had a major incident to contain. The ability to relay large quantities of water over considerable distances was invaluable in some more remote locations or where the incident required more water than local water systems could provide. Most UK Boroughs had an Auxiliary Fire Service detachment housed alongside the regular Brigade equipments.